Relationship with Irvington Presbyterian Church
For more than half a century the Irvington Presbyterian Church has had as its mission the sponsorship of the Good Shepherd Early Childhood Center. This non-sectarian nursery school shares the church's facilities. The Nursery School Committee oversees the policy of the school. Members include a chairperson, church members, parent members and a teacher representative.
GSECC was founded in 1957 by Mrs. Jean MacIntosh, a member of the Irvington Presbyterian Church. Each classroom was staffed by a professional early childhood teacher accompanied by a "helping mother" every day. The school has evolved over time growing larger as the demand for the school's quality program has increased. The cooperative model was supplanted by college-educated assistants. However, the welcoming of parents continues to be an integral part of our program and philosophy.